View Single Post
Old 08-02-2009, 07:25 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoNeko View Post
The conclusion I came to from my [URL="http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159002"]

1) How do you personally feel about guitars being returned to you, after you spent huge amounts of time and energy, when you feel that you have done your best to meet the customer's requests?

2) What steps do you take to ensure that the customer gets the tone that he/she wants for that box? (You don't need to give away any trade secrets, obviously, but just some hints as to how you achieve it would be sufficient.)

3) Do you see yourself as being totally flexible for voicing the guitar according to the requests, or do you have your "signature" voice that you tend to stick to with minimal tweakings? Or is it somewhere in between?

Thanks in advance for the answers.
1) "I have had one guitar returned because it was broken in transit so we promptly refunded 100% of the client's money (including shipping costs). I was unable to build him another guitar in the very short amount of time that he stipulated and he was simply not willing to wait two more months."

2)"A very lengthy written interview with a follow up telephone interview. We also prefer to meet with the customer to do a face to face and to watch them play. If this isn't practical then we ask for some video recordings of them playing."

3) - "Each one of our guitars are totally and individually unique sounding, each one is voiced for the individual player (with the exception of spec guitars that we may build for guitar shows). We don't have a signature sound such as Martin, Taylor, Gibson, etc... because we don't build to an engineered production model."

I believe our customers come to us with the reasonable expectation that we can indeed build a guitar voiced uniquely for them, to meet their tonal desires as well as respond to its fullest potential for their particular playing style and string attack. If I can't achieve that then I better hang up my chisels.