View Single Post
Old 10-12-2016, 01:59 PM

And replying to Jay who opened this thread with his Noble...
Another beauty.
I had a great time hanging with Duane (and wife Lolly) at SBAIC 2 weeks ago, and caught up on a lot of "Duane Noble harp guitar" lore:
He's now built 25 harp guitars! That's a lot for a one-man operation, and speaks to his popularity. (Calum Graham has ordered one "exactly like Antoine's")
I mentioned that I might want to archive his entire output on Harpguitars.net - as I do with Knutsen, and did with McCollum, as his are each different and often "custom." He may be missing good photos on some I fear.
I had forgotten about this - but am proud to know that he kept two of my suggestions standard: The size of the arm soundhole and the rounded back of the harp arm. These were first incorporated into the "not quite Gregg Miner signature model," seen here: http://www.harpguitarmusic.com/listings/hg-noble2.htm
He says the arm soundhole ended up at exactly half the size of the body's - he accidentally blew a stream of air across them and the pitch (the "jug blowing" effect) was exactly an octave higher on the arm. (perhaps something you can incorporate into your playing?!).
And of course, the lack of sub nut posts came from my old experiment with my Knutsen.
He also confirmed that his harp-uke body (including arm and bass head) IS exactly the same harp body, scaled down (at Kinkos!). He only had to alter the main neck and head for tenor uke requirements.
Here's mine:

The FB inlay is the end of the Dyer Style 8 tree o' life:

Back and sides of Madagascar rosewood (what we had planned to do an HG with, but he ran out):

Off to the Gathering at crack of dawn. Wish you all were!