View Single Post
Old 04-14-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthman View Post
One of the points that I made earlier was the fact that pick-ups do indeed vary a lot - even when they are sold as being the same. This is true of all pick-ups, cheap and expensive. I've lost count of the number of mods I've done for friends over the years but I've tested most of the pick-ups I've used and the difference is marked. For example, I very recently replaced a broken bridge PU in a USA Fender Strat. I also tested the neck and middle picups while I was doing the work. Both Fender Lace Sensors Silver - the neck was 6.8kohm and the middle was 7.3kohm. These are pick-ups that retail at round the £75 mark and they showed a 7.5% difference in output rating!!!

Now are you going to tell me that the wood that the guitar is made from is going to make that sort of % difference? And what about the differnce in tone and volume controls, cables . . . . ?

And I wrote a paragraph about how acoustic and electric guitars differ because it is painfully obvious that many people do confuse the two - just read back and see how many people believe that the sound they hear when they play an electic acoustically is amplified by the pick-up.
The Taylor Solidbody enables someone to install the same exact pickguard-mounted electronics and quickly swap it into guitars made out of different woods. I've removed the pickguard from a solid ash body and placed it in a solid sapele body. Guess what? They sounded strikingly different. The pickups and wiring were the exact same. The bodies were cut the exact same. The necks were cut the exact same. They were essentially the same exact guitars with two different woods. And why did they sound different? Because they were made out of different woods.

I could take the PAFs out of my all mahogany Les Paul Studio and mount them into my maple/alder Stratocaster using the same pots, same wires, and same output jack. Guess what? They'll sound VASTLY different. I could pull a Duncan JB Jazz out of my hollowbody and wire it up with my Solidbody, yet the Solidbody would never sound anything like an ES-335. Why? Because wood has a whole lot to do with the tone of a guitar.

At this point I'm considering one of two things:

1) You're just trolling this thread with random babble to get a rise out of folks...in which case I'm done attempting to reason with you.

or

2) You have no idea what you're talking about, but you're absolutely positive you're correct just because you've been saying it for 4+ decades...in which case I'm done attempting to reason with you.

I'll say one thing though: In the long run, though, you're probably better off than most of us gearheads...I'd love to not be able to tell the difference between plywood and mahogany. My collection would be much cheaper to complete if that were the case.