View Single Post
Old 06-10-2013, 05:49 PM

Default Ulnar nerve entrapment in fretting arm

Posting this as I'm getting no joy from my Dr.

Noticed a burning sensation on pinky side of left wrist which quickly spread to forearm when playing in a pub nearly 2 months ago. Forced me to stop.

I play fingerstyle as you can see from YouTube vids.

Internet research established ulnar nerve issue. Probably from a huge amount of practice sessions this year. I was getting ready to do a lot more. Pain mainly in the wrist. Though it can go right through from whole arm to the neck.

Dr said I must stop playing guitar for about a month, but didn't give me exercises to do, nor isolate where the compression of the nerve was, simply stating it was an RSI, or tendonitis. The state of play in UK is that referrals are done with Physio helpline, which seems a ridiculous set up, as one cannot demonstrate exercises over the phone. I had a phone consultation with physio who confirmed it was likely ulnar problem, and they'd email me exercises.

Another appointment with Dr resulted in him saying just stick with the NSAIDS.

only thing is, the email does not in any way present exercises that can be understood in three dimensions, and any further contact with physio helpline is with an operator,who's not a physio, who speaks English in foreign accent.

the only exercises I can find are on YouTube and they don't hurt at all. I can bend palm back fine etc. I can do all standard exercises without issue. But if I play for a minute it really does. I'm thinking it must be to do with muscular activity from use of ring and pinky fingers. Consequently only played guitar for about 20 minutes over the last 6 weeks. Doing my head in.

Can anyone recommend specific exercises for a guitarist with fretting arm nerve entrapment? At my wits end. I've phoned Dr back several times, who says referral to a face to face physio must go through the phone service. The phone service say it must go through Dr.

get strong feeling I'm stuck with budgetary constraints, and bored to death, and very stresses at the thought of not being able to play.

Exercises anyone?