View Single Post
Old 05-18-2017, 12:22 PM

Default IEM's and ambience mics and so on...

As I alluded to in another post, the weight of our band’s rig is beginning to adversely affect my enjoyment (and my back).

We currently make use of two 10” FOH speakers and two 10” floor monitors. If I kept the FOH but ditched the monitors, that could be cool! I’d probably store the FOH speakers in my car 24/7.

So I’m searching for monitoring solutions. One idea is individual spot monitors, probably four of them, such as the Behringer B205D or Mackie SRM150. I could ask that band members “own” them (and take them home) like they already own their instrument(s).

The advantage here is that I probably don’t need to upgrade my mixer (a Soundcraft EFX8), I’ll use the same cabling that I now use for floor monitors (we don’t bother with a different mix than FOH). And members can control their own volume and a limited EQ. This is the road that I’d really come to until digital mixers and ambient mixes reared their heads.

So here’s my idea and desire for your input…

I sell my floor monitors and my analogue board and buy:
1) A digital board with at least 5 aux outs such as the Behringer X Air XR18.
2) Five pairs of IEM’s such as the Etymotic Research mc5.
3) Five beltpack IEM amps such as the Behringer PM1.
4) An omni mic that would be placed mid stage and mixed into the monitor only such as the AKG P420 for stage conversation.

I figure upgrade costs for either route will be about $900. My question is of course whether the second idea is really a good one. Will the omni mic work for ambience/stage-conversation? Will the sound of this second system be enjoyable?

Anyway, I look forward to your comments as usual. Thanks!

Last edited by buzzardwhiskey; 05-18-2017 at 01:13 PM.