View Single Post
Old 04-23-2012, 02:58 PM

Thank you for the replies everyone - I'm overwhelmed that I've gotten so many replies. You made me a lot wiser I'm glad to hear that there was no need to worry about the bracings of the furch guitars.

I've had the chance to try a Furch OOM34SR guitar today(one of my colleagues friends went by our store today, so I had a quick go at it. amazing sound from such a small parlour).

I'm totally keen on going to Brno now - I'm planning to gather a few guitar interested friends, and have a great trip to the factory/store.

I have a question though - since I'm from Europe and buying the guitar in europe, I don't have to pay taxes when bringing it to denmark.. that's fine

However I'm wondering if you've got any specific advices for me when bringing the guitar back home. I'll do my best to convince(even pay) so that I can get the guitar with me as hand-luggage into the plane, but are there any specific things i should be aware of, could the pressure(g-force from being high in the air) damage the guitar in anyway, or the air/humidity level on the plane?

It would be such a shame to return to Denmark, only to discover that the guitar is broken.

@Pieterh - Thanks for the words, I've seen a lot of times that people will say their newly acquired guitar is better than anything they've ever owned. I even experienced it myself, that once you've gotten used to the guitar and aren't hypnotized by the brand new guitar first then you'll be able to make a neutral judgement on your guitar. It seems that you've got a lot of great guitars to compare the Furch with so I'm glad you shared your qualified opinion. And I'll have to agree with you, that the Furch logo together with the ebony on headstock gives the guitar character and a very unique look.

@Gilles - Thanks for the link - It's always a joy to read about people who have the passion and are lucky to find just the "one". I've had the problem back in the days that I've saved for an economic model, but always wanted a more highend guitar - that resulted in me never being very happy with the purchases that I made, always thinking "If only I saved a little longer I could have had ... instead". I've learned my lesson now, and luckily I was employed by a store selling Musical Instruments shortly after my graduation from Gymnasium(college).

@Dchristo - Thanks for the info, I'm sure I'll find "the one" when I'm sitting the showroom.

@Paulchevin - Iøve heard the sotry about the UK Dealer changing from Taylors to Stonebridge. It's great to hear about companies that are aware and cares so much about their customers so that they want to provide the best possible product, and not just the one they can make the most of. I'm very excited to try the Cedar/Rosewood guitars - I haven't really seen this combination before, mostly with the other brands I've encountered it is Cedar/Mahogany or Spruce/Rosewood. It will be great to give the guitars a listen – I’m also very excited to try the S23SF, I love the look of the flamed maple sides paired with the Honduras mahogany neck and black headstock.

@Grenvilleter – I don’t really get the joke with the white belt and shoes – care to explain it? (Never heard that one before, so now I’m curious  ) I know that winter is rough to the instruments, so it’s common sense that the guitars will become damaged. The same if you tie the guitar to your car and drag it alongside the road – it’s pretty much common sense that it will become damaged (or as some might say, “relic’ed”). The salesman in the store said that 9/10 Furch and other (in his words) “no name brands (not Martin/Taylor/Gibson) had poorly designed bracings, and therefore was not a safe investment.

@Stonebridgian – Thanks for the reply, judging from your name you’re quite fund of the Stonebridge guitars I assume I’ve always heard that “You can’t cure GAS” – but I guess I was wrong  By the way I simply love the Aged Spruce tops on the Furch guitars, had the joy of seeing a OOM34SR today – the feel, sound and look of the aged top is just breath taking. Feels like you’re stading with a guitar guitar that’s +50 years old in your hands.

@Gibbyprague – I’ll make sure to visit the showroom – and not leave until I’ve tried every single guitar By the way, now that I’m speaking to a native Czech, I was wondering if there’s anything else you can recommend that I see, now that I’m in Brno? And do you have any general tips/advices to a tourist visiting Czech for the first time? I’m also very glad that Furch and Czech generally can provide me with such well built instruments for a reasonable price – one of the main reasons beside the quality and sound that I’ve chosen to buy a Furch guitar is to support the “European economy”, how silly that may sound, I think it is important to not just throw your money after a guitar produced in Asia, but to support Europe(especially now in times of Recession) I see no reason why I shouldn’t use that extra bit of money and travel down and see under exactly what conditions my instrument is made under.

@Oilrunner – Thanks for the info regarding the Furch. While I’ll use the case provided for returning the guitar to Denmark, my plan is to purchase a TRIC case from Godin(http://seagullguitars.com/triccase.html ) I’ve only heard good things about these, and my workplace (www.musikinstrumenter.net / www.best2music.se ) just got an arrangement with the Danish supplier of Godin products., so I’ll be able to get these for a good price. The problem however is that I don´t know which guitar I’ll up with (D/OM/GA etc.) so I can’t buy one before my trip. I’m glad to hear you’re considering the trip as well, om du är intresserad då kan jag skicka billder från mit besök i affären och värkstedet til din mejl – and I’ll post pictures for the rest of you guys on AGF as well, since you’ve been so kind to reply to my topic. How many products did you get a price indication of? I’d love to know which ones you got info on, as I’ve only been able to receive info of the price on the G23CR - I haven’t received a reply with a pricelist yet.

@Tunomatic – Thanks for the info. Is it the Durango D40 with Cedar top and mahogany laminate sides? I’ve tried one of those in another local guitar shop, and it just was pleasantly booming. It was a very loud and good sounding dread, and affordable as well. Thanks for the tip on the Humidipaks – I’ll make sure to buy a load of those.

Wow that was quite a lot of text – once again thanks for the replies, it’s pleasant to see the amount of replies I’ve got 

Last edited by JohanEA; 04-23-2012 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Highlighted the names, so it was easier to read.