View Single Post
Old 02-22-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7v7im7 View Post
Hi,

Thanks for your responses. I did a little looking around the internet and without playing instruments, some that seem like they might fit the bill are:
  • Bourgeois OMC Cutaway
  • Collings OM2H Cutaway
  • Santa Cruz Model H Cutaway or OM Cutaway
Given my desired playing genre, I would appreciate hearing about any differences between these 3 OM cutaway models in terms of their tone and feel (I know that a Model H is a diffeent beast)?

Thanks,

Bob
I can address your specific guitars as I owned or own non-cutaway versions of all three:

Bourgeois Vintage OM Madi/Adi: I currently own this guitar, it has a comfortable neck profile and great tone. For me the neck profile is good, but not quite as good as the Taylor GS for jazz. I play the Goodall and Taylor much more but I do like the guitar.

Collings OM-2H: I had the deep body version of the OM-2H, the neck profile was a shallow V which I thought was not ideal for jazz. The tone was good but I find Collings a bit overbuilt and consequently not as responsive as some others.

Santa Cruz Standard OM: The neck profile was good and the guitar very responsive, of the three you listed maybe the best for jazz followed by the Bourgeois (which is the only one of the three I still have). The problem with the Santa Cruz was the neck finish was sticky which has been noted with Santa Cruz by others. I am not a fan of Nitro in general but that one's stickness was in the end a deal breaker for me.

I do sense you want to avoid "mainstream" guitars by your list. but I would encourage you to go out and try some like the ones I mentioned. Enjoy the search.