View Single Post
Old 03-24-2017, 06:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfa View Post
In researching an amp purchase, I've come across a couple of folks saying that Carvin's manufacturing quality (as opposed to audio quality) is lousy. If accurate, that big negative would be compounded by their direct to consumer marketing setup (no dealers for repairs). Does anyone have sufficient knowledge/experience to comment?

Thanks.
Carvin has been around for over 50 years. There were times when their products were less than average and times when their products were above average. At no time were the products the worst, or best, of all the then available choices.

I don't know too much about this, but I strongly suspect that Carvin has always eschewed planned obsolescence. That being said, like most manufacturers, the trend towards populating boards with chips using surface mount technology limits the repairability of their products both in terms of cost and practicability.

I have no opinion as to the relative manufacturing quality of Carvin products. For example, I don't know if they use cheesy resistors or high grade resistors.

Fortunately, there seems to be a majority of folks who report Carvin products last a long time. Since they are quite inexpensive to begin with, I would have less worry about buying them (in terms of possible subsequent repair/replacement).

All that being said, their sonics and behaviors are quite mundane.