View Single Post
Old 07-25-2010, 07:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerardo1000 View Post
I wonder how many prefer to use light gauge strings on their dreadnought and why ? And why mediums ? I have a new Martin MMV with Elixir Medium and I wonder if it would lose some power and tonal quality if I switch to light strings?
Hi gerardo…
Having tried them all over the past 17 years on my Olson Dreadnaught, I’ve settled on Custom Lights because they project well and have the best tonal balance. Three of my acoustics wear .012 light with a .013 on 1st string, and the Olson Dreadnaught wears .011 custom lights with a .012 on 1st. The sizes are 2 - OM, 1 - Dread, and 1 - Mini Jumbo

The dreadnaught has adequate volume for acoustic and amplified work, and holds it's own in a jam. I’m not a heavy strummer/picker, so I depend on the responsiveness and projection of the guitar itself to make it heard combined with my styling and arranging...and it does.

Actually the principle I’ve applied is to try different weights every now and then and see where they settle for a balance of volume, projection and tonal balance, and playability.

I’ve changed some to lights over mediums because I’m not a body builder. I do a lot of full step bending and the mediums just have too much tension for that (I’m 61 years old, and have no repetitive motion, arthritis or injury).

Playability is where my dynamics and expression in music emenate from. If I’m wrestling with the instrument it interferes with musicality.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…