View Single Post
Old 09-25-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ps346 View Post
For the most part, I just finger pick, and I love a warm (but not muddy) , resonant, powerful sound.
Find a used Santa Cruz OM/PW. They have exactly the sound you describe and are a joy to play. They show up frequently on eBay used in the low 2K range. The standard Santa Cruz OM has a more modern and balanced tone. The Santa Cruz OM/PW is warmer and woodier and wonderfuller IMHO . I have some very nice guitars and my Santa Cruz OM/PW is one of my favorites. Played fingerstyle, it's every bit as loud as any dread played fingerstyle... perhaps more so if you have a lighter touch. It takes less to get the top moving on the OM/PW than the Martin dreads that I've played including the HD-28.

Another great guitar that has the sound you describe is the Santa Cruz 1929 000 - I traded for one last month and it has since blown my socks off daily. It's an all mahogany guitar and has a complex, warm, rich, dark and woody tone that is simply amazing. A fingerstyle player's dream. There's a used one for sale in your price range on the AGF buy/sell board as I type. And, for an all mahogany 000, this guitar has plenty of volume to boot. A bit less than the OM/PW but enough for any fingerstyle playing that I can think of.

Scott

Last edited by smpetty; 09-25-2012 at 09:34 AM.