View Single Post
Old 09-28-2010, 01:45 PM

Yes, but the break over angle does affect the torque on the top, as observed by someone earlier. It is easy to convince one of this effect by imagining an absurdly tall saddle, and in this state, the additional height makes the saddle act as a longer lever. The same thing occurs at any height, but of course the amount of effect within a reasonable (thus narrow) height variation in any normal guitar is open to debate. My own feeling is that it is not negligible, but that string clearance must take priority, meaning it makes no sense to adjust saddle height to optimize tone, unless one was indeed also doing a net set.

Break angle and torque are contributing factors, and assuming a correcting neck set is not done, so is the extra fretbuzz-free headroom -if you will- that is afforded by higher action. I trust you already know this. Of course it is almost impossible to explain phenomenon in a complete way that is not subject to misinterpretation or confusion by anyone. And just to prove the point, I will add another even better hidden effect on the changing saddle height, and that would be it's resiliency. The taller the saddle, the more it will bend under the string tension. Oh, and there is also that small matter of the additional mass in a taller saddle, and then there is also ...

Last edited by gmm55; 09-28-2010 at 02:03 PM.