View Single Post
Old 11-27-2016, 02:28 PM

The OP's original description of where he was at musically is very similar to me. Subtract 20 years of playing and substitute chord-melody of gypsy-jazz.

I got bit about two years ago and have been on this jazz journey ever since. FWIW, I have had to relearn the guitar in many ways. I think that is in large part due to the fact that guitar, especially as a soloing instrument, came to jazz very late in the game. For blues/folk/rock the guitar has been central to the music's development. So I think part of learning "jazz" is learning to think like a horn player.

To me, playing jazz has meant unlearning to think of the guitar as a "chordal" instrument. Thinking of "jazz chords" and chord progressions was holding me back and confusing me. Horn players can't play chords, they play intervals stacked on top of each other. Jazz chords can seem endlessly complicated if you are trying to memorize the near infinite combinations of thirds and whole notes that make up a four voice chord. But adding a bass note and another voice a third above to a melody note is not so challenging.

I would suggest first and foremost learning single note MELODY lines well for jazz tunes. That is where horn players would start. Then add the supporting bass line. That's where our instrument really shines. Add in a third voice usually some kind of third from the bass to taste and you are doing a good job of playing a lot of standards quickly.

I would add a whole page on my musings on this, but frankly that is too presumptuous. I'm just starting my journey in jazz. The point is that thinking of complicated chord structures can kill progress and enjoyment. The best and most iconic jazz musicians didn't play chords. To get the flavor of their playing I have found, at least for me, that forgetting chords is a necessary step forward.