View Single Post
Old 11-13-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
OK, I hope I'm wrong about everything else, so I'll just offer one last observation about the X. It's heavy. When I first picked it up, I was surprised by it's heft, so I looked up the numbers. It's 33% heavier than the Samsung Galaxy, it's nearest competitor and 25% heavier than the iPhone 7. I'm sure they'll sell a zillion of them, but the weight is a fundamental design mistake.

In my view, Apple is making human factors errors they never used to make before. They're chasing snazzy features and forgetting to make products that intuitively work without a manual and without a team of support staff. The iOS11 release was a disaster that resulted in 4 updates within a month of release. High Sierra is causing massive inter-platform compatibility issues. I've got iCloud documents that can be opened from one platform and not another. Menu options are becoming a tangled mess and are biased toward loading up your cloud storage as quickly as possible.

Furthermore, their sales staff members don't know their products. I ask simple questions that generate puzzled looks. If you get the trainers outside of their pre-prepared demos, they're lost. I sat next to a guy at an open Studio Session who was trying to manage his photo library, and four successive people couldn't figure out his problem. My particular iTunes problem required a work-around, because the system just wouldn't do what it was supposed to do.

I really want to buy a new computer, and I really want to continue my 35 year relationship with this company. But, I've lost faith. Something fundamental is going on, and I just don't trust them anymore. So, I'm going to wait and watch what happens over the next few months.

Heavy? I never noticed until I read this. Coming from a 6S, I didn’t feel like I was picking up a brick. I expected it to be heavier because it is a bigger phone with a stainless steel frame which is obviously heavier than aluminum. To call it a “fundamental design mistake” is just reaching to criticize something about the phone.