View Single Post
Old 09-26-2017, 07:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
That's a cool tune Bob, I'll have to try that one. Keep working on it. Take no prisoners, lol.
Hi Barry,

I enjoyed your soundclip--you've got some great tempo going on that one.

Woody Mann is incredible to me, there is enough in that one book to keep me busy for several lifetimes :-)

This thread is really timely for me. I've been fingerpicking for 9 months now and have a so called repertoire of about a dozen songs--but most of them are not really polished when I try to play them up to speed. I'm at 85 to 90 per cent, not quite there.

It seems like I lose focus on the easy parts, and make silly mistakes, and then tense up and speed up on the hard parts, and flub them, too.

So lack of attention on one hand, and too much tension on the other.

What to do about it? Someone posted a video from Domenic Miller recently where he talked about practicing at "hyper" slow speed. Now I try to practice slowly, but was talking about very, very, slowly. And it seems to help. I can't really play "hyper" slow without a metronome, and even then it is a real effort. It certainly forces you to focus your attention, much more than just playing "somewhat" slowly does--that is just too easy, I guess.

That thought led me to a book by Jamie Andreas that I hadn't looked at in a very long time. She talks about practicing with "no tempo" at all and actually "posing" over the positions to try and eliminate tension.

I'm curious about what others may do to try and polish up a piece that just doesn't seem to want to get "done", even after much practice?