View Single Post
Old 07-12-2012, 05:07 AM

Default New Pickup System - THANKS

I just wanted to say thanks to LJ and everyone else for your help when I was getting all kinds of feedback and a less than desireable sound from my Martin OMC-28E.

I sold the Fishman Ellipse Aura system that came with the guitar and purchased a K&K Trinity Solo from Shorline Music and found a great deal on a mint cond. D-TAR Solstice w/carry bag on Craigslist for more than $100 less than what I could have purchased a new unit for.

Following the instructions that came with the K&K and taking my time with the install turned a very positive result. It was a one shot deal and I had absolutely NO problems with the install. I can adjust the Mic and UST's separately and "dial in" a much better sound than I could with the Ellipse. I still have to become more aquainted with the system and do some more tweaking but I see a huge improvement so far.

Perhaps it was just that my guitar has a very resonant top, I'm not sure but the Ellipse Aura just didn't do it for me and was far too sensitive to feedback. On a guitar with a less resonant top.... it probably would have sounded great.

The Solstice is a bit heavy but that's not a bad thing for those who want to set it on top of an amp because it's less likely to move. I will purchase the Mic Stand adapter or get a tray because I like to have the controls close to me. It has a lot of great features although a para eq might have been better it seems like the best choice of current dual input pre's available.

So far.....so good.

Sooooooooooo......Thanks again for the help everyone!