View Single Post
Old 11-29-2017, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Not necessarily - I've seen a number of pre-1930 banjos that came equipped from the factory with exactly the type of nickel-plated steel brace you suggest was retrofitted - my suggestion would be to talk to Smakula again and see if he has something compatible in his parts bin; regarding the dowel stick, a competent local carpenter should be able to make up/fit a period-accurate replacement for not a lot of money, in the event you decide to actually play it...
I have had more than one person (2 of them luthiers) advise me against putting good money into this instrument.

If Smakula's shop was nearby, I might be tempted to pop in and pick thru his parts bin, or pick his brain a little more. But his email to me was pretty straightforward regarding the impracticality of expecting any truly satisfying results.

Appreciate the eyes on the picture and the thoughts on the condition, but I think it's just going to be a conversation piece of wall art, and if anyone wants to pick at it while visiting me, they're welcome to it.

thanks again guys!

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE