Thread: Nut adjustment
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2007, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatCanadian View Post
Yes, I was considering doing it myself. May just do that yet. It's not a real expensive guitar, but it's around the 1K mark.

Tommy, that's kinda what i was figgering too. If it feels good capoed, but not good uncapoed then the nut must be too high. Thanks for the advice fellas.
Measure first with feeler gauges - stack the leaves and compare to the number I gave you before.

To do it right you will need a set of nut files - $80 to 100 at a luthier supply shop like StewMac or LMI. There is a trick of getting "torch cleaning files" at a welders supply - they come in different sizes and are much cheaper. Knocking the nut out and sanding off the bottom doesn't work real well - you need to measure each string gap and bring it down accordingly. Not hard to do if you have the right tools.

I always do the nut first reasonably close, then the relief, then the saddle, come back to the nut, fine tune the saddle and then check the intonation. This assumes that frets are level and the git is properly humidified