View Single Post
Old 12-05-2016, 02:26 PM

IMO, a lot of really unhelpful answers here, especially the "you just have be able to hear it and feel it, man" variety. Of course jazz guitar can be taught. And gypsy jazz is just jazz.

For starters, the OP asked about chords. Page 1 of Mickey Baker's Book 1 has almost all the chords you need to comp on any tune. The next few lessons are good exercises on developing your technique with them. Forget the 1001 chords in every inversion kind of books.

Next, the best all around technique method: Wm Leavitt's Modern Method for Guitar.

Last, and this part is more individual as for what works for you, the books that helped me the most with soloing are David Baker's How to Play Bebop series. Some will object that there should be more emphasis on chord arpeggios, and they have a point, but that is where bebop departs a lot from swing.

Also, get a couple of George Sher's New Real Books, which are the most accurate version of both chords and melody for jazz standards. Don't wait until you have mastered technique to play tunes. I made that mistake, and it held me back for years and made practice not fun.

I am not qualified to name sources that are specifically about Gypsy jazz, but it does not use different chords and single notes from other jazz--it is a style for using what all jazz players do.

Last edited by Howard Klepper; 12-05-2016 at 02:32 PM.