View Single Post
Old 01-19-2016, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatpickMN View Post
Hey all,

I recently bought a Santa Cruz (early 90s) that I've been carefully humidifying and keeping in it's case (up here in Minnesota).

This last weekend I took it out and noticed more dip of the belly between the soundhole and bridge and more protrusion from the bridge to the endpin than usual. Closer inspection revealed a crack, the ungluing of the middle seem on the top from the bridge and worsening toward the end of the guitar. My hygrometer in the case read 35% (the lowest I have seen) despite Oasis' OH-5+ being full and in place.

I have taken this to my bud who's a pro. There's no structural damage, all the braces are in place, etc.

I immediately added on of those planet waves sponge case humdifiers at first in the case and now in between the strings of the soundhole, in addition to the Oasis. It's been sub-zero here are things have only gotten drier.

My headache- Now, I can't be the humidity in the case above 28%

Both humidifiers are resting above the sound hole, and I'm now waiting on a filter to start using an old room humidifier in addition to the ones in the case. I have noticed a slight narrowing of the crack; it does seem to be improving.

Why can't I get it up to the usual 46%? My only thoughts are that the guitar is so thirsty, none of the humidity is reaching my hygrometer (which I've even placed under the neck join) It is a cheap digital hygrometer, but I have tested it (at least as far as breathing and watching the humidity change, etc.)

Anyone had this experience?
While I certainly sympathize with you, I've lived and played music in MN since the mid-60's and never bothered about humidity. My Charlie Hoffman dreadnought (#101, May 1976) has lived in houses heated by wood all winter, un-air-conditioned summers and all that MN has to offer. Zero problems. Harmony Sovereigns, J-45's, Martins, fiddles, mandolins, banjos, basses...none have ever had a single problem.

I guess the "secret" is to make any temperature/environmental changes gradually. I let nature take its seasonal course and ease my instruments into a room slowly and carefully, though.

Good luck, happy picking.