View Single Post
Old 02-17-2017, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
$200 is a significant limitation. One valid answer would be to not do that for this amount. But taking that amount seriously, here's what I would do:

I assume you already own a computer. If it's a Mac, Garageband will do the job software-wise. Reaper will work on either MacOS or Windows. Audacity is free, works on either OS, is somewhat simpler, but also less fully featured. For budgetary reasons I'm skipping Reaper for our tally.

Mic: You need one. Given your budget, it's going to be just one. If you record multiple instruments, you're going to "Sun Studios" or "Robert Johnson in a hotel room" it. Set up around the mic and "mix" by distance to the mic, so louder instruments to the back. Take a solo? Step up closer. Overdub? Sure. But each pass you are committed to any multiple instrument "mixes" you've created on recording. Or record everything one instrument at a time. Or mix and match. Depending on the interface or not question you're going to take one of two paths. Path one is a USB condenser Mic. There are a number for choices under $100. I don't have experience with any of them. You plug it in to a USB port and you get sound into your recording program. Other path? USB audio interface, microphone and cable. Focusrite Scarlett Solo is good. Mic? I've had reasonable results from a MXL V63M which is usually under $100. There are other choices, some at lower prices, I just haven't used them. Condenser mics will work well with a room of not very loud instruments because they are very sensitive. They'll also pickup a lot of room sound, including your HVAC or computer fan, a truck outside, loud crickets. But them's the breaks and I'm taking your $200 seriously. You'll need a mic stand. Cheap as you can to keep to your budget. You'll need a mic cable, and again, cheap and cheerful to keep to your budget--and just get it long enough to get away from your computer is computer noise or to the place you guess will be best to set up your mic.

Monitoring? I'm taking that $200 seriously. Use anything you have. No they won't be accurate. Yes, you could have some leakage while overdubbing from the things in your ear to the mic.

Sound treatment for your room? Nope, not in the budget, but you can hang a quilt on clothesline here and there.

So what the tally? Software $0. Focusrite Solo $100, Mic $100. Hope for a coupon, deal, discount, or lots of coins under the couch cushions to free up $25 to $30 for a mic stand and cable. Or go USB Mic for around $100 and have enough for a set of headphones like Sennheiser HD 280 or AKG K240 or Sony MDR 7506, any of which is less than $100.

Limitations? Sure, particularly if you want to sound just like modern recordings done the modern way. Can you make good recordings this way, ones that you or others can enjoy listening to? Yes. Might you want to spend more later if you get into it? Yes, but at worst you'll be "out" the cost of the interface or the USB mic.
Focusrite solo bundle. Interface, microphone, headphones, stand, cables, and software for $199. He just needs to provide the computer.

https://www.amazon.com/Focusrite-Sca...tt+solo+bundle

Frank did bring up a good point, will you be recording with multiple people at once or one at a time?

Last edited by ericmeyer4; 02-17-2017 at 04:24 PM.