View Single Post
Old 04-11-2008, 01:15 AM

Default The exact opposite of a "bright" sound?

I'm new here and really glad to have found this place. I've tried searching the forums for the last half hour but have found no threads relating to my question so I figured I'd ask here.

I've been playing guitar for around 14 years now and over time have started to really seek out a guitar that sounds great to me. The biggest problem I've had with all of my acoustic guitars (all have been Dreadnaughts) is that they sound absolutely way too "bright". This is further made an annoyance by the fact the 2 high (non wound) strings are so twangy and don't blend in with the sound of the lower 4.

I want something with a warm and mellow sound (I mostly finger pick, slow.. mellow, lazy, narcotic sounding acoustic stuff) and Dreadnaughts have proven to be a massive letdown for this. At least the Dreadnaughts I've used. Someone recommended nylon strings but is that really the solution? Or even a classical guitar? I admit I do love fat necks with lots of room to dance around on.

I've been looking at Seagull guitars and they look great except for one thing, all reviews suggest the bass response on them is virtually nonexistent. I love a bassy low end.. and it seems if you want a warm, bassy end sound you also have to deal with an ear piercing twang on the high end. Blick.

Is this a guitar issue or a string issue? Perhaps the twang of the two high end strings are muted down in production with most folk albums and that is why the perfect guitar sound seems to only exist in my music collection? hah..

So, in a nutshell: Could any of you recommend a guitar (of any size or style) that sounds warm, mellow, somewhat bassy, and sounds like nothing that could be described as "bright". Also, something that is a bit forgiving on my wallet.

Sorry for how long winded this is, I just wanted to be precise in case any of you knew of some recommendations. I'm all ears here.

Thanks