View Single Post
Old 10-25-2016, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Stylish View Post
Currently I have on Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze lights on my Rainsong HDR
They Have been on about a week. Tone is very nice. Somewhat punchy, like a Gibson J50.
Retro Lights have been on my Rainsong much more than any of these others. The tone is Vintage Gold in my opinion. So much so that it has influenced others who have played my CF that they had to have one of their own. Retros will be back on as soon as my frustration with the pitchy fickleness of these Aluminum strings has spent my last ounce of patience.

Here are a list of other strings I've tested.
Adamas Phosphor
GHS silk, Phosphor Bronze, 80/20s
D'Addario -Bluegrass, EJ-16
Elixier- Nanos Light, Poly Light
Ernie Ball- Earthwood 80/20, Phoshor Bronze
DR's
SIT's
Martin- Marquis, 80/20's, Bluegrass,

to my ear, feel and style
RETROs are the hands down winner. custom lights - TR mediums. Doesn't seem to matter
after 2-3 hours of hyperactive play, they settle in, stay in pitch, and last for a couple of months during the warm humid season here in VA, and 4-5 months during the winter season.
I love retros on carbon fiber as well, once they get past that "weird" stage- man they sound really good to my ears. It's magical.

I appreciate your list because i trust your judgement. I see a bunch on here that I was tempted to give a shot but won't now because you don't rate them up with your top picks. I think I'll be sticking with retros. There is still one pack I have that I'm very curious about and that is the D'addario Nickel Bronze. I'll post thoughts on those when I get them on the Shorty.