View Single Post
Old 10-26-2017, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistertomlinson View Post
Another question about these dotted staccato notes. Some people put the dot over the note... I've seen it on the side... I've seen some above the stems. What exactly is the rule?

Staccato markings ALWAYS go on top of notes with downward stems and below for upward stems. A dot on the SIDE of the note indicates that it is held for 50% longer! On the side is (always) a time indicator not an accent mark. See the 3rd note, 5th measure in with the dot.

As far as the notation goes, the first of the highlighted measure (photo below) could also be notated this way, but I like AndreF's the best so far. Written music is always just a skeleton and interpretation is part of deciphering the music. I've seen some pretty goofy looking stuff pass by my music stands that could have been notated much simpler and easier to read. I'd be able to sight read what AndreF notated, the original one you (OP) posted would have stumped me on the first pass and I still might have screwed it up without knowing the tune. Often in a legit group you'll hear the conductor say "play what it sounds like, not what it looks like". You're just supposed to know. BTW... For those that think that a staccato dot just means "short", it does not. Technically it means HALF VALUE. 99% of musicians never learn that simple fact and think it only means short which sadly often translates to "pecky".

Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS

Last edited by vindibona1; 10-26-2017 at 07:13 PM.