View Single Post
Old 04-12-2017, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

Here's my take on RWB Rag recorded about 8 months ago. I play the song at least once a week just a touch faster than this. I was learning the song at the time and this recording has more of a "straight 8th's" feel where I think Barry's has a bit more soul to it. There's a couple of hiccups but Mark was pretty pleased that I got it right technically and stayed pretty much in time.

In the audio CD with the book, Mark plays it quite fast. In my time left on this world, not sure I could ever get to that level. He is my Skype teacher and we had a discussion about the playing speed of these pieces and Mark told me he probably played it too fast for the audio CD and if he was performing that song to an audience he would slow it down. There is another song in the book called Fishin Blues that I have down pretty good and I play it at 95-100 bpm. Mark told me that he liked the slower speed because it communicated the feel of a lazy day fishing better than if you hurried through it. I don't stress out on my playing speed on a lot of what I play now. I try to focus on just making it sound pleasant to a listener. That certainly makes the learning curve more enjoyable.

Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)