View Single Post
Old 01-08-2017, 05:22 PM

For your budget, I'd get a small mixer and powered speakers along with a fairly small acoustic amp as a monitor, that can also be used in smaller settings.

I chose an A&H Zed mixer, EV powered speakers and a Fishman Loudbox Artist and they've served me quite well. Soundcraft and QSC would be my choice for other options for the mixer; JBL, QSC or Yamaha for speakers; amps are always changing and there are many great options out there (a key consideration for me has always been connectivity).

The other big option that can simplify your life is one of the many array-style towers and sub combos. The best known is the Bose L1, but the last few years have brought forth many other competitors at various price points.

I've yet to hear anything that truly accomplishes the "my guitar only louder" ideal. That being said, a little effort and careful listening will make sure that the unfortunate "quack" toned UST pickup sound is left to history. I've used a Takamine palathetic pickup, a Fishman Aura UST and a K&K SBT. None of them are perfect, but they all can sound great. If you're going to be playing in a typical pub atmosphere, the pursuit of a perfect pristine acoustic tone is tough to accomplish and probably only appreciated by you alone if you manage to get there.

My last bit of advice is to take a look at the dbx GoRack (if you choose the mixer into powered speakers route). I just hooked one up last night and it's the best $30 I've spent in a long time.

2018 Furch D31TSR
2008 Martin OMCRE
1992 Takamine EAN20C
1996 Fender Telecaster w/ Barden Nashville set
1986 Charvel Model 5
2005 Art & Lutherie Ami
1980ish Hohner copy of a 'burst

Last edited by Laughingboy68; 01-09-2017 at 06:28 AM.