View Single Post
Old 10-11-2007, 01:00 PM

Joost, I think your hands and fingers are large/long enough that you can make any reach you need on a long scale, such as your Ryans. I am 5'8" with corresponding hands and fingers. I own a guitar with 24.9 scale length and one with 25.6 scale length. There are fingerings I can accomplish on the shorter scale that I simply cannot on the longer scale.

In addition, there is definitely a difference in the feel of the tension. Vibratto and other nuances are more easy to accomplish on the short scale. On the other hand, I have to be careful that I don't fret the low E string in a lazy manner and cause it to go out of pitch while playing. In addition, the short scale is fine for DADGAD or open G, but that's about it. Of course, this is the very reason for the multi-scale/fanned fret guitars, seen so frequently on Michael Bashkin's or Bruce Sexauer's fine guitars. They are a compromise of both the long and short scale instruments.

Some of the differences in tone can be narrowed by tuning down the longer scale or with set up and string choice. However, I have decided that I really like having both in my arsenal, even though I am not nearly the player that you are.