View Single Post
Old 01-26-2014, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philjs View Post
OR if you really, really want a bass, a Kala UBass might be just the thing (though you will need a small bass amp...you can hear one to practice on but you'll need amplification for a "real" bass sound).

Phil
I was reading through the thread to see if anyone else would mention a U-bass. I started playing in a little acoustic bluegrass and country band last year, and I picked up a U-bass almost on a whim. A proper upright was out of the question since I can't fit one in my current car. I had an upright for years but sold it a few years ago. The U-bass sounds AMAZING, really deep tones like an upright, it's perfect for that style of music. The only real downside is needing electricity and an amp when you're playing in an otherwise acoustic group.

The really fun thing is that it is so easy to play with the short scale and the low tension of the rubbery strings. We play two and three hour gigs and I can walk those bass lines all night without killing my fingers. It's also a good conversation starter at gigs, everyone wants to come up afterwards and ask about it.