View Single Post
Old 01-26-2014, 12:30 AM

Yes, I have played bluegrass bass for years, great instrument to have at a jam. It is a physical instrument and it has its challenges but that shouldn't turn you off. I think it is more about good technique and and playing enough to keep in shape. I like gut strings but there are a lot of options out there.

An entry level 3/4 bass costs a lot more than an equivilent guitar. A playable laminate bass will run about 2k. Set up is very important and you really need to work with someone who specializes in violin family instruments. A full setup on a new factory instrument can run about 1k. Strings cost a lot more but can last years.

High-end carved basses sell for some serious coin but aren't really nessary/appropriate. The iconic country and bluegrass players used laminated basses. Kays, American Standard, Epiphone, etc. Thumpy with a big fundamental.

The folks over at the talkbass double bass forum are very knowledgable and they have a great FAQ for folks interested in looking for their first bass.

Defiantly worth finding an experienced player to help you get started. Intonation, tone, and acoustic volume all take work to develop. Playing even simple 1-5 parts can be suprisingly difficult until you develop a solid foundation.

I don't play bass at home alone much but it is always welcome at a jam. Helps the ensable sound a lot more than yet another guitarist :-)