View Single Post
Old 06-10-2008, 06:26 AM

Default Travel Guitar Questions

Alright, here is a dilemma. In July, I will be away from home for three weeks straight (two weeks on a visit back "home" to California, immediately followed by a weeklong business trip to Europe). And I'm quite certain that not touching a guitar for three weeks straight will mean the end of calluses on my left hand, which I am keen to prevent.

So my plan is that, while I'm in California, I would buy a travel guitar for the primary purpose of keeping my fingers in shape. (Having a nice tone is of course a bonus, but portability is more important in this case.) The only ones I've dabbled with in the past are both from Martin (Backpacker and Little Martin), and I have no experience of trying to handcarry a travel guitar on a flight.
  1. Can a 3/4-size guitar (with a case or gig bag) be counted on to be accepted as a carry on at most international flights by a majority of airlines? If not, is there a brand that offers cases/bag safe enough for the guitar to be checked in? (I know for sure I wouldn't check in a Little Martin with its "padded" bag.)
  2. If the answers to both questions are "no," what are some smaller "handcarry-able" guitars that sound and play halfway decently? (Personally speaking, the Backpacker's tone isn't too bad but it's rather awkward to play. I've heard about the Washburn Rover but haven't tried it yet.)
Thanks in advance for your advices.