View Single Post
Old 02-18-2011, 03:35 PM

Default Compare the Wechter OOO to which Recording King?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkham13 View Post
I agree- congrats- its a sweet looking guitar-
Willsing, please if you will tell us the differences between this (Wechter OOO Mahogan) and the RK. I am looking them both over and am unfamiliar. You can pm if you prefer but I think its helpful general knowledge. Thanks-
Kirkham

I know you asked Willsing... but it made me curious so I did a quick comparison (spreadsheet here) of the Wechter TO-8418 to the Recording King RO-10, which looks like the first model to have all solid woods. Even with some funny numbers in favor of the TO-8418, the RK-10 still comes out at $475 delivered with a setup vs $650 for the TO-8418. I didn't run the RO-06 because it's laminated.

There is simply no question in my mind that the RK-10 (or RK-16 which I think replaced the 10) is a better value than the Wechter. I wish I could play them both side by side then pick!

If the 12 fret design and wider nut doesn't appeal to you, I think the RK-10/6 or Silver Creek T-160 are much better buys and I've heard nothing but raves on their tone and quality as well.

For me, I want the 12 fret slot head with the 1 7/8" nut because it's the closest steel string cousin to my beloved cedar top classical. I've never found one locally, so I only have reviews and experience with other guitars to go on, but the 12 fret should have a more full tone due to the larger soundboard and hence larger active volume. The 12 frets are typically geared more towards fingerstyle as well, so I would expect for the soundbox to be constructed and braced a bit lighter.

Since I play a 2" flat fingerboard with nylon strings, the 1 7/8" nut on the Wechter will transition easier for me. An interesting thing to note here is that, although most people think of classical guitars as easier to fret, they are in many ways more difficult to play due to the big flat fingerboard and the squishy nylon strings that want to roll off under your fingers. With the slightly narrower fretboard offset by the tremendously narrower steel strings, I actually expect to not lose any finger room. I might even gain some (Yeah, I COULD do the math on that.... but I'm not gonna! ). The 12" radius on the Wechter vs the flat fingerboard on the classical makes it even easier to work with.

I'm an oddball in that I am a person with small hands, but I prefer wider fretboards. I'm not even sure if I could describe why. You'll never see me using my thumb over the top to fret strings for example! I guess I've developed a technique that works for me and I'm sticking to it!

Peace,

Katherine Elizavæt

http://www.youtube.com/user/Elisavaet
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise." The Duchess: Alice in Wonderland