View Single Post
Old 01-28-2017, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdean View Post
My friend I don't think has really decided what kind of music he wants to end up playing...just wants to learn how to basically play the guitar for now. He has listened to me play. Like I have said I'm just a solid intermediate player singer. But I have done him my examples of my stuff....folk, rock, country, pop. Blown in the Wind (Joan Baez), Heaven (Brian Adams), From This Moment On (Shania T), My Heart Will Go On (Celine Dion)....how can you tell I'm Canadian, eh!!

I told him the first song my guitar teacher taught me way back when I first took lessons was Tom Dooley.

Anyway...I think his guitar teacher as maybe part of her "marketing" sfor beginning guitarists starting on classical guitar for "mechanical" ease reasons only...if I was even more skeptical it is because she also makes money on the rental of classical guitars to her students. But having heard here that learning on classical to start is not unreasonable makes me think that's not the case.
I too would be feeling sceptical. (Mostly likely by the sounds of it that your friend wants to play the same sort of music as yourself and there's no way that I would encourage him to go to this teacher to learn on a classical guitar ... and a rental one at that). The teacher is either going to teach your friend how to play classical guitar or steel string guitar techniques on a classical guitar and both scenarios are nowhere near ideal.

I would suggest he gets his own basic steel string guitar and a couple of flat picks (plectrums) and finds himself another teacher. (My opinion of course).