View Single Post
Old 04-10-2016, 07:37 PM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joscefi78 View Post
That's awesome, hope I can attend some day. That reminds me, I have a Jorma Kaukonen story (sort of).

30 years ago, I took a guitar course at Frederick Community College, the instructor was a fine musician with a masters degree in music from Yale, I don't recall his name. So one day, he calls me at work, says the lesson will be at his house not the college that day. I go over to his messy house, booze bottles all over, there's a Steinway with songbooks and dead soldiers piled on it. He had this Ramirez Classical with cigarette burns on the headstock, he'd tuck his smokes in it as he played.

So he says, "Excuse the mess, Jorma Kaukonen and Jack Cassady came by for a visit, Hot Tuna was in Washington, we're old friends." Then he says, "I was going to call you and that kid who plays the dobro, thought you might enjoy hanging out and jamming, but it was early in the morning and didn't want to wake you."

Oh man, I lived only a few blocks away, I'd have been there in a minute, I was that close to jamming with those cats.

Great story indeed. Of course, once you do make it to FPR you actually can jam with Jorma.