View Single Post
Old 02-23-2012, 07:09 PM

Default Repair advice - is it worth the effort?

A friend bought this guitar in a charity shop for the Grovers that were on iit (not the original tuners). It is a bit of a mystery. Clearly it was a project guitar that someone gave up on.

The neck had been sanded, and bits are coming off around the edges of the 17th fret area, and someone has drilled (but not uniformly) holes to add dots.

The soundboard is cracked, but could be reinfoced - it could probably make do, and it looks like the pickup and amp are recent additions. But the bridge is way too high, and the neck seems gone. I was worried about breaking it when tightening the truss rod.

I think if I refretted, put some dots in, varnished the neck, and plonked on some tuners, it would still be largely unplayable... Can anyone offer me any advice? I can't afford to spend much on the thing, and I am an absolute novice when it comes to such work.

I put the photos up on Flickr, as I am not sure where to host them:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gaijint...7629440371387/

I hace no concept of this guitar's history, value - or whether this (presently a pretty pig of a) guitar is worth the effort. I think it needs a new neck, it is so badly sanded it is practically scalloped on the first fret!

Any suggestions appreciated~

And my second post, sorry to be so needy!

Last edited by gaijintendo; 02-23-2012 at 07:12 PM. Reason: title was a bit general