View Single Post
Old 01-01-2010, 09:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sventvkg View Post
It's funny but those Mackie's you have are NOT very highly regarded in the industry by anyone I know. They are boomy and not a clear transparent in the least. Put them up against a K12 and they will be owned. OF course they have more bass then K8s as they should but also they are particularly over bassy so it's no surprise to me. Pumps some music through them and listen to the clarity as compared to the K8s and then K10's and K12's and let us know what ya think.
Hi Sventvkg,

I was very hesitant to post my spoken-word audition impressions to the board because of the possibilty of pointed responses such as yours, which are justified, no doubt, given my less-than comprehensive auditioning. I'm not sure that your assessment of Mackie SRM450 Active Monitors is correct because hasn't many a solo act and small band relied on these speakers over the last decade or more? To me, they sound crisp and clear, and although they're capable, per specs, of achieving 55 Hz @ -3 dB, and usable to 45 Hz @ -10 dB without any onboard circuitry enhancement, the last thing I would call a Mackie SRM450 is boomy. Please, if anything, call them sterile- or neutral-sounding because of their flat frequency response and I'd know where you're coming from.

My posting wasn't anti-QSC in any way but merely suggested that if a person or band already has a quality small PA system they're happy with at the moment, a QSC K Series speaker just may not be a night-and-day difference for them. Of course, I'd encourage a prospective buyer to audition the new QSC K Series speaker in all manner of ways that may give them a "Eureka" moment and compel them to buy some. For me, given my limited audition, I didn't have that special moment but would definitely consider buying some QSC K Series speakers in the future.

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 01-02-2010 at 11:32 AM.