View Single Post
Old 11-14-2015, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupy1957 View Post
Steve DeRosa said, "..........one of two produced for Brian Epstein.........."

I want to tap into that for just a moment. I can imagine Brian Epstein being asked by "the boys" to make arrangements for the building of guitars to their own liking and specifications. Is that what we are saying here? What do we know about that end of things?

What can be learned about the specifications or requirements that were typical of "the boys" in those days? What were they looking for in sound, electronics, etc.??

I find it interesting that although Brian was the "Manager" to whom they might relegate various tasks, that they (the "boys") wouldn't go themselves (or bring in) to guitar manufacturers, to talk to them directly about their ideas for design and performance. That they entrusted Brian with that, seems like a stretch.

-Soupy
Sorry to hijak, but this is all pretty much covered throughout the Beatles Gear book too. From my readings of this source and others online (there's a great website about Ringo's drums), the "boys" were not knowledgable or sophisticated enough to even have "specifications or requirements" about their instruments, other than they be "cool looking" (or sim. to what they'd seen other successful artists play, e.g. the Gibson acoustics, or the Country Gent) of good quality, and preferably American. "This pickup, that pickup, this tailpiece, that neck radius..." ALL would have been Greek to them at the time.

Remember, we're all looking at this through our "2015, guitar geeks who spend waaaay too much time on internet forums, learning about and debating all the minutiae of technical details" eyes. In 1963-4, these were still kids who really had no idea of anything technical, including how influential they would become, and the fact that 50 years hence, weirdo's like us would be discussing their preferences.