View Single Post
Old 12-09-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
I just now realized that I should of course have stipulated in [A] that I was referencing only dovetail neck joints. ... mea culpa.

Yes, as far as bolt-ons are concerned you can cope and floss for a tight fit even if the mating surfaces are curved opposingly .... methinks it would be a different story with a dovetail joint.

Also , when I said "flat surface" , I was talking specifically about the V shaped area immediately adjacent to the shoulders of the neck heel.... an area going from 2 1/4 " at the top to maybe 7/8" at the bottom. I would think that no matter how rounded the shoulders of the upper bout are, it would be an imperceptible flattening which would cause no aesthetic problems whatsoever once the neck is fitted.
Well, if the dovetail is fully seated in, and you can get sandpaper in there to floss the joint, the joint is then too loose and needs to be shimmed. I found it best to get the neck just a little proud of the top (I didn't glue the fretboard on until after), then back it out a little and floss the cheeks till the neck slides down flush. Then the dovetail is tight AND the heel is coped.