View Single Post
Old 01-04-2017, 01:08 PM
AGF Sponsor

Bandsaws simply don't need big motors, what they need is sharp blades. I have a 1/2 hp on my 14", and a 2 hp on my 20". No matter how much power you have, if the blade is dull resawing is difficult and expensive as the blade will become distracted by the wood and won't track adequately. The Makita/Hitachi 2" stelite blade machines are dedicated resaws and operate a bit differently that typical bandsaws, but they do the job!

I sprang for a carbide blade once, but found it slow cutting and it took a big kerf. Then I hit a grabber screw and had to throw it away. Since then I have been very happy with the 5/8" thin kerf blades I get from Hastings Saw in Rohnert Park, ca. If I am resawing expensive Rosewood backs a blade is good for about 20 perfect cuts, and then feeding it starts to slow down, making it a good idea not to risk a bad cut, which can easily cost more than the price of a new blade. NEVER push the wood into the saw, instead feed the stock as the the saw takes the wood away. This is my key to successful resawing.