Thread: Harp Guitars
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2016, 08:41 PM

Respectfully disagreeing with Al (who is one of my heroes, I own his "Beast" after all!). In my experience of listening to hundreds? thousands? of instruments (archlutes, harp guitars, etc) played acoustically in concert (with or with mics), I have no problem hearing bass - all the bass that the instruments are meant to include in their range, unless it's a lousy instrument. Obviously some are better made than others. Whether my ear-to-brain is being fooled and I'm "filling in" the fundamental only from its higher harmonics, I couldn't say (tho Al can prove the physics - I'm just happy that it's one of natures miracles!).
I played an all-acoustic show with a half dozen antique harp guitars a few weeks back in a large room and people were blown away with the sound(s).
I would highly recommend that the skeptical or curious come to a Harp Guitar Gathering (I'm hosting next October in Carlsbad, CA) and hear many different variants being played properly and well (and, when not in concert, acoustically, in every nook and cranny throughout the weekend).

Last edited by Gregg Miner; 11-18-2016 at 10:31 AM.