View Single Post
Old 02-28-2008, 07:02 PM
The Foreigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12StringCarlos View Post
If you go on youtube and do a search for Yamaha guitars there is a video of a small factory making the LL series, all hand crafted, and I thought it was in Japan??
ahhhh, but those guitars are the LL/LJ/LS 26/36. As I mentioned in the previous post to yowech, those are a *totally* different breed of guitars. They may *look* the same, but the woods are high-grade and the guitars are handcrafted for real by a small workforce of Japanese luthiers. The cheapest guitars coming out of that factory will set you back at least $3000.

Surely you didn't expect something hand-made in Japan to be priced like a China guitar

The people in both countries may look the same, but Japanese technology and handcrafting skills are still years ahead (no offence to the Chinese, I'm one too, though born overseas). Having rarely had the chance to play more expensive guitars, I am not in the position to give an objective opinion of the 26/36 models. However, many who *have* played high-end instruments could probably attest how the 26/36 beats many of them hands-down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNP View Post
Congratulations on your purchase maaak

I'm also interested in the L-Series Yamaha guitars. Did you notice considerable difference between the LS and LL series? I'm mostly a finger picker and I have tried out the LL16 (loved the sound!!) but couldn't get my hands on a LS16.

Do you think I should aim for the LS16 instead of the LL16 ? How was the strumming on the LS16 ?

I'm actually in a dilema between the LL16/LS16 and the GAD-30R which I also liked very much
Hi, SNP! Would really like to visit your country one day

Going back to your LL/LS question, I would say the difference is what you'd expect from a dreadnought/concert body comparison. Having said that, because the LL is not a *true* dreadnought, it doesn't suffer from the boominess factor, which makes it great for both flatpicking and fingerstyle. Plus, the volume and projection are better as well.

If I wasn't on a tight budget, I'd buy one of each! Wait, scratch that. I'd buy the LJ26

But if you had to choose, I would say:

If you want unplugged volume, projection and a good compromise between fingerstyle and flatpicking, get the LL16. I also like that the body style is unique to Yamaha.

For comfort (especially if you're small-sized) and a more focused, mid-rangey sound suited to fingerstyle, go for the LS16. If you often perform amplified, this would probably be a good choice, since it's more comfortable and you wouldn't have to worry about lack of volume through an amp.

Of course, there *is* a third option - the LJ16. It falls somewhere between the LL and LS. Great guitar as well (I think I just made your problems worse!)

The best you could do would be to try them out yourself! But if that's not possible, I would say just go for the LL16. It's a great overall guitar, and at that price, it's not something you're likely to regret. It'll last you a long time, at least until you make your first "serious" guitar purchase

Do tell me more about the Guild GAD!