View Single Post
Old 09-30-2008, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmapags View Post
Another thread got me thinking about neck profile and how best to determine the best one for you. Now I know I hear a lot of "play all the different ones you can and see for yourself" but what I'm really looking for is what are the factors that go into that.
Hi mmapgs...
I do think other things besides just playing a lot of guitars factor in. I'm not minimizing the ''play and find out what works best'' model, but do want to present a different take.

I own three slim-neck handbuilt guitars with what I'd describe as shallow C necks in 1 3/4'' width. Then I own a Seagull S-6 which approaches a D neck or at least a deep C.

When I first got it, it didn't feel comfortable, and it was work to use it, because I was applying my shallow C technique to it. I took it on a couple extended vacations (three weeks at a time) and since it was the only thing in the RV that had strings, we became 'acquainted.'

Since then, I've adjusted my posture and hand position to accommodate it, and in the process my fingering technique has grown, and now I play it without thinking about what size or shape the neck is. It took one vacation to make the initial investment of time to adjust, and after that it's been a part of the family.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…