View Single Post
Old 02-10-2018, 01:14 PM
Charter Member

I will look forward to playing one of the new V-braced Taylor guitars some time in the future. However, I just ordered a new 2018 Martin D-45 along with the promise to my wife that this is the last guitar I will ever buy. (And I really do mean that.) So even if I like the sound of the new V-braced Taylor guitars, I will not be buying one.

I just read through every word of the latest Wood & Steel issue from Taylor this morning. Mostly, I think they did a good job with their explanations about the development, though without playing one, I have no idea what the practical manifestations of all these changes are. Nor do I have any idea how much of the Wood & Steel discussion about V-bracing is just smoke and mirrors.

I currently own two Taylor guitars, a 2002 514CE and a 2010 12-Fret, so I am not a Taylor "hater." I have also owned a few other Taylor guitars over the years that have been sold off or given away.

In the end, this development means we have more choices. That's generally a good thing.

Also after carefully reading between the lines in the latest Wood & Steel I have concluded that Taylor's big marketing campaign is as much about drumming up enthusiasm among guitar players for Andy Powers as the new design leader for Taylor as it is about V-bracing. I have concluded that this is about preparing for Bob Taylor's retirement and about a smooth succession. I think they went over the top a little, but they had a big magazine to fill up... And after all, they have to sell a lot of guitars.

- Glenn