View Single Post
Old 06-18-2015, 05:33 PM

I bought one of the Fishman Soloamps new (which gives you an idea of when) and used it faithfully until a few weeks ago. I like the unit, but not enough. I want/need a swiss army knife and it is not that. It does what it does well, but I find that even for that part, I wasn't ever 100% happy. I had very limited experience with the Bose but still preferred the fishstick. Since the poll allowed for other options, here's my experience.

I purchased a Carvin AG300 to replace the sold fishstick and first impressions are quite good. We'll see how that goes.

I like the sound better than the Fishman. The Carvin obviously has more bottom end but there is a warmth to the sound that I never heard in the Fishman. I also like the way the Carvin responds to my pickups better than the fishman did (a Sunrise and a McIntyre). I did a number of gigs as a sideman with a full band and didn't feel comfortable using the fishstick as an acoustic amp. I just went through the PA which caused its own issues. There was a harshness with the fishstick that I couldn't dial out and I felt like it didn't sound good on my guitar without a lot of external gear. My first listens to the AG300 make me think it will work for me without outboard gear and as an acoustic amp in band situations.

I expect the Fishman has better coverage. I read somewhere that it is not a true line array so it doesn't get all of the advantages of that design but I was always very happy with the coverage I got from it. My expectation is that I'll need an extension speaker with the Carvin to get similar coverage.

The control format is friendlier on the fishstick. While the Carvin has a 3rd channel, I don't think it is any more usable than the other in's on the back of the fishman.

While the weight of the two units is similar, perhaps it is the shape, but the Carvin feels like a more difficult schlep.

There were times when I used the Fishstick beyond its intended design - with an external mixer and two guitars, two vocals, and occasionally a cajon. The Carvin will be better able to deal with that when/if it happens again.

Power is similar and without having the two next to each other, volume strikes me as comparable.

At least after my first listens, I do prefer the sound of the Carvin even when used for the exact same purposes as the intended design of the Fishman. And it costs less even if you add stands and an extension speaker.

It is nice to have options, each with its own strengths and weaknesses.
that's me on guitar