View Single Post
Old 03-28-2009, 10:42 AM

String type and gauge are also big factors in both sounds as well... A set of 9's will never sound like a good acoustic guitar regardless of any other factors.

I had a Carvin 185 for a while... and the operative word is compromise. If you are looking for a great sounding electric and a great sounding acoustic, you'll be disappointed. If you're looking for something that gives a taste of both and is something else altogether, you'll be happier with it.

I found that to get the best acoustic sound I had to replace the saddle for one compensated for a wound third string and go with that. Then, the electric sound was much weaker. If I wanted more of the electric sound, I went with an unwound third and nickel strings... and the acoustic sound was weaker. I leaned towards the acoustic side and used DR Zebras and got reasonable results from it with both pickup systems but it never gave me what I was unrealistically looking for - a great acoustic and a great electric sound in one guitar.

I would expect that compromise would lean more to the electric side with a typical electric bridge with piezos in the saddles.
that's me on guitar