View Single Post
Old 12-04-2011, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Well, I've never been an electric guitar guy, so I could be mistaken, but I don't recall that ever being a production model for Fender. My understanding of it was that it was a prototype that Fender gave to Harrison, but it never went on sale to the general public.

The R&D luthiers at these large scale guitar manufacturers tend to build a lot more one-off prototypes that never go into production than most players realize - the prototypes get built essentially as talking points for the staff management meetings, where they get passed around and played and discussed and debated. Most never get to the next step of becoming part of the product line, simply because it costs money to tool up for something different, and to promote it to the public.

Particularly if they get displayed at trade shows like the NAMM show but don't generate enough interest.

So most guitar factories I've visited have got quite a few prototypes laying around. They often get given away or sold at a discount to performers and other friends of the company.

Anyway, if I'm wrong and that rosewood Telecaster DID go into production for a while, I'm sure someone with a better knowledge of the Fender product line will set me straight. But my impression is that it was a one-off.

Wade Hampton Miller
I believe you're correct about the Tele that George is playing in "Let It Be" being a prototype however I do believe the Rosewood Telecaster was added to the production line in 1969. They differed from George's slightly and large numbers were never produced and the line was discontinued in 1972. Fender Japan reissued it in the eighties and I read that occasionally the custom shop makes occasional runs.

I think it's a beautiful guitar and is iconic! The image of George playing it is so ingrained in pop culture. Even in Rockband you can see him playing it in "Get Back"!

Taylor GS8e (2007)
Taylor 310 (2000)
Taylor 214ce (2007)
Fender Stratocaster American Standard (1990)
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster (2011)
Ibanez AEG 10NII (nylon) 2015

Last edited by trek1500; 12-05-2011 at 07:44 AM.