View Single Post
Old 01-08-2017, 09:55 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonius View Post
Do you get additional resonance with these double-neck guitars? Sometimes when I'm doing slower single note work on my acoustic I make sure I'm not muting any of the strings so I get sympathetic ringing in them. This adds a bit of natural reverb. So I would think that when you play the six-string neck, all of those 12 strings on the other neck must be offering you additional sympathetic ringing. This should create a reverb type effect. Am I correct?
From my experience with a 6/12 Chimaera.....

There certainly is additional resonance as in sympathetic string vibration from the unplayed neck and although it must be adding a little something to the overall sound, I certainly don't hear it as a natural reverb and honestly can't really tell if it's adding anything beneficial. Maybe others listening might, but no one has ever said anything to that effect. Upon abrupt ending of a song, I haven't wanted the lingering tone, so either I simultaneously stop the unplayed neck or if I'm only playing one neck for a given song, I have the option to place a capo on the unplayed neck (at the 12th fret seems to work best) which eliminates the string vibration altogether. I do play numerous songs where I jump back and forth between necks in a given song sometimes to add dynamics to a chorus in songs traditionally played on a 6 string. Takes good timing. Great fun!