View Single Post
Old 01-07-2017, 05:22 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Way back thirty-five years ago a friend put himself through seminary by working as the warehouse manager for a surgical supply house. He said most of the tools were known by one or another doctor's names and every few years tools went out of style and were made obsolescent by a new tool with some new feature and a new doctor's name. In the crossover period the company inevitably ended up with too many of the old design and a few ended up laying in a bin for a a few years. My friend got permission from the company and arranged that after so much time without an order he would throw them into a salvage bin. When the contents of the salvage bin grew enough he'd collect a load and ship them off to a missionary hospital in a country where they didn't give a flip about the latest fancy features or name and were only concerned with utility. So it was good for everyone! Free tools to the missions, a write-off to the company!

On a visit back then my friend was able to pass me a few retractors and surgical clamps that I've used ever since while I'm working on electronics and soldering. Back then you couldn't get them from Radio Snack and either had to pay a premium or know a doc.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)