View Single Post
Old 03-23-2017, 07:02 AM

So glad my 90 year old dad voluntarily stopped driving last year. Hes been a poor driver for the past 20 years and really dangerous for the past 5. He ran over a center island in the road and damaged his car and that convinced him.

My now deceased father in law was a diabetic who took good care of himself, took medication and ate right, but he still had neuropathy with much of the nerves in his extremities not working. He thought his foot was on the brake but it was the gas instead and he rammed a light pole in a parking lot, causing some serious damage to the car, himself and his wife. Of course he was sure he was on the brakes....most of the stories of "stuck accelerators" on vehicles when old people plow through crowds are really no mechanical failures at all, just people who lost the ability to safely operate a vehicle due to failing nerves, vision, hearing, reflexes, etc.

There are also those unsafe to operate a two ton four wheeled death machine at any age or speed due to cognitive disorders, lack of focus, inability to pay attention, spatial disorientation, etc. Because of all this, as a motorcyclist I ride by two simple rules:

1. No one can see me, ever.
2. If someone does see me they will try to kill me.

Kept me alive over 40 years of riding.