View Single Post
Old 02-09-2018, 09:41 AM
Charter Member

Hi Jim…

When I was building (as in constructing) the studio we used for 8 years, I collected all the advice and expertise I could, and had a workable plan going in, and knew if I didn't have hundreds of thousands to construct a large space with proper reflection, then it would be smart to build a small, properly dampened space. I was still questioning some of the elements of outfitting the room properly (it was a dedicated space and not a shared room).

I took some advice from a pro studio designer who suggested having your plans in place, and then while moving ahead, he suggested starting to do test recording well before the room was fully altered to see what anomalies needed to be addressed. That was smart for me.

The room was built and walls textured, and carpeted, and the end result was we have a decent space which is about 10-15 feet with concrete floors (we discovered the carpet was producing a HUGE low mid bump), heavily textured walls, and reflective ceiling, with properly insulated walls which is isolated from noise sources, and is comfortably decorated to record in. We used self designed, home made noise dampening 'blocks' to control reflections from walls and corners.

It's large enough to place players far from any walls and corners, and produces very neutral recordings with no room reflection, which can then be properly handled in post production.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…