View Single Post
Old 01-04-2017, 03:14 PM

So true about the correct blade making all the difference on a smaller saw with a lighter horsepower motor.

I've had the same 12" Delta for several years and it matches my needs well. I cut the column and added in an additional 3" riser to re-saw occasionally to a maximum 9" capacity and it does so with no problem.

I keep it fitted with a 3 tpi 1/2" skip tooth bi-metal blade and use it for all my band saw needs, including 3/8" brass and 2024-T4 aluminum bar stock. I buy the blade stock in bulk and weld up a fresh blade when the old one starts to get dull or if I'm going to do re-saw work with it. I inherited my dad's 220v blade welder, so it costs me about $6 to throw a new blade on it. The stock 1/2 hp motor doesn't seem to mind whatever I throw at it, as long as the blade is sharp.

It always amazes me when someone has problems with burning, tracking, slow cutting with a band saw and wants to fix it by putting on a bigger motor.

Why did I go with this saw? I purchased it new for less than $200 (I'm cheap...) and it's light enough to move around by myself, a prerequisite as I get older.