View Single Post
Old 05-15-2013, 03:25 AM

The advice here is excellent, especially Aaron Smith's post.

But I do not hear any difference in sound from changing the nut though. I changed the bone nut on my HD 28 to FWI and I couldn't hear any tonal difference. I also changed the Micarta nut on a 90's D-18 to bone a few years ago and couldn't tell any difference either. I was a little disappointed in both cases, because I usually hear the difference with saddles and pins, but not with nuts.

I don't know why that is? Maybe it's the guitars? Maybe I don't play enough open chords? (Wouldn't the nut specifically affect open strings?)

I always hear a big difference when I change pin material. Bone sounds different to Buffalo Horn, Buffalo Horn sounds different to Ivory, ect. I notice these differences straight away, and all though some of it is can be just our own perception, I don't see how I can imagine more or less sustain...

Upgrading the nut is a good idea regardless, a bone or ivory nut will last a lot longer than plastic, and I believe replacing as much of the plastic that comes stock with many cheaper guitars will get them sounding and playing at their best.